What You Must Know Before Installing Outdoor LED Lighting
Outdoor LED lighting is the latest in the line of outdoor lighting. Many homeowners whether
they live in an apartment or a modest house love using outdoor LED lighting because they want to improve the
appearance of their outdoor area such as the porch, pool, or the garden. Here you will learn what you must
know before an outdoor LED lighting
There are many benefits of outdoor LED lighting aside from giving more light or giving more beauty to the areas
mentioned above. The benefits are the following:
1. If a homeowner is looking at lessening his electrical bill, this
type of light is the answer because LEDs are energy efficient as compared to fluorescent and incandescent
2. Time has proven too that this type of light lasts 6 times longer than fluorescent and incandescent lights,
giving more value for your money.
3. They produce a much brighter, whiter, more concentrated light therefore they can brighten a specific area
4. They are environment friendly because they don’t release inert gases into the environment that you can find
in other types of lighting previously mentioned.
5. Not only can they be powered by electricity, they can also be powered through solar energy using solar
panels, which is another factor that makes these lights energy efficient.
The most popular types of modern outdoor lighting with LED is the following: outdoor
LED spotlight, LED colored rock lights, LED pond lights, LED patio deck lights, and outdoor LED spotlights. Among
these the easiest to install are the LED patio deck lights because you can easily fit them into any surface, just
drill a few holes for the mounting unit and you’re good to go.
Now after learning of the wonderful benefits of this type of lights you suddenly thought of getting some for
yourself but before you go out there here are important things that you should know about LED lighting for outdoor
1. Buy only brand names to ensure high standards of quality to give more value for you money. Quality products
last longer thus you will get the most savings not only in the purchase of lights but also in the consumption of
energy thus lesser power bills.
2. Check the labels and/or the packaging to see to it that the type of light you bought is really for that
specific area where you want to place the lights.
3. When it comes to LED lights the idea is location-location-location; therefore, before you buy outdoor lights
carefully plan where you are going to put the lights. You should position your lights at a location where the light
shines down in an angle that is if you want to get maximum coverage. But if you want a concentrated light beam
adjust the position accordingly.
4. Take note too that the ideal height for mounting such lights is at 8 to 10 feet from the ground.
5. Planning is also essential in choosing how many lights you’re going to install for a specific area of your
yard. Since they emit a whiter and brighter light, you can buy less numbers than you would with the use of other
types of lighting.
6. If you need more light and some accents consider purchasing LED spotlights. These lights compared to the
halogen type give off less heat while emitting the same brightness.
7. Outdoor LED lighting comes in many colors but pure white LED lights are highly recommended that is if you
wish for a dramatic effect on the area where you want to set-up your lighting. If you want to light up or
accentuate the beauty of a specific tree or plants on your garden at nighttime, use warm white or amber colored
8. Since you are installing lights for outdoor use don’t forget to use weatherproof equipment and housing for
your lights to ensure maximum lifetime.
9. If you’re going to use light strings do not attach standard light strings to LED light strings and vice versa
the end result is power loss or worse a fire.
10. Lastly before installing outdoor LED lighting, be sure that you have turned off the electrical current from
the mains to prevent the risk of electrocution.